Many times we were in a situation where we had to tell our parents or friends what we were doing for living. More than once we used to get into long (read – very long) stories about our profession. We gave extensive definitions. We used a lot of words. And we still saw that our beloved ones had no idea what we were talking about and understand what we were doing in life.
And yet it was possible to be short and concise.
Therefore, especially for you, we analyzed the highest indexing articles in Google with the definitions of public relations quoted by PR experts. Then we have highlighted the essence and cut off the rest.
In this way we have achieved a long list of short definitions and synonyms for public relations.
So here we go.
Public relations is…
- Reputation management
- Reputation creation
- Opinion shaping
- Shifting audience attitude
- Changing or maintaining the way of thinking
- Influencing public opinion
- Influencing somebody’s opinion
- Public attitudes shaping
- Trust building
- Earning public understanding
- Earning public acceptance
- Natural human communication
- Interpersonal communication
- Information transparency
- Convincing others
- Telling real stories
- Making facts understood
- Company’s purpose communication
- Relations with people
- Eye opening communication
- Awareness building
- Attracting attention
- Public image building
- Audience relationship building
- Creating lasting relationship
- Inside out & outside in
- Reaching people’s minds
- Explaining complexity of reality
- Public & organization adaption
- Organization’s messages management
- Company’s voice and face
- Nursing human connections
- Building relationship
- Getting third party endorsement
- News impact maximization & minimization
- Connecting organization & people
- Public conversation participation
- Market presence exposure
- Wisdom & knowhow showcasing
- Reputation & issues management
- Becoming a corporate citizen
- Communicating through the earned media
- Stakeholders communication
- Dialogue with audience
- Story leadership
- Sharing relevant news
- Information distribution
- Damage control discipline
As it turns out, you can tell your friends or family about our field very briefly. Probably you will not be able to present the details of your work in this way. However, you will certainly be able to close the topic faster and move smoothly forward with your conversation.
In the end you want to be treated as an expert, not a bore, don’t you?
PS: We are sure you can add some more of your favorites. If so – leave your comment below or share it with us on social media channels.